The Frisian Islands, also known as the Wadden Islands or Wadden Sea Islands, form anarchipelago at the eastern edge of the North Sea in northwestern Europe, stretching from the northwest of the Netherlands through Germany to the west of Denmark. The islands shield themudflat region of the Wadden Sea (large parts of which fall dry during low tide) from the North Sea.The Frisian Islands, along with the mainland coast in the German Bight, form the region of Frisia(German and Dutch: Friesland), homeland of the Frisian people. Generally, the term Frisian Islands is used for the islands where Frisian is spoken and the population is ethnically Frisian. In contrast, the term Wadden Islands applies to the entire archipelago, including the Danish-speaking Danish Wadden Sea Islands further north off the west coast of Jutland.Most of the Frisian Islands are environmentally protected areas, and an international wildlife nature reserve is being coordinated between the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark. Natural gas and oildrilling continue, however, and in the vicinity of the EmsWeser and Elbe estuaries, and ship traffic causes tension between wildlife protection and economic values.


image-42290-Wadden_sea.jpg?1447759686766
image-42291-Texel_wapen.svg.png?1447760251393
                         Escutcheon texel
image-42295-Vlieland_wapen.svg.png?1447761457271
                       Escutcheon Vlieland

image-42310-Terschelling_wapen.svg.png?1447761861598
                  Escutcheon Terschelling
The Wadden Islands
The five beautiful and highly individual Wadden Islands, low-lying,dunes islands windswept barrier islands, are connected by ferry across the Wadden Sea from adjacent mainland harbors. This shallow sea's depth ranges from about 1 to 3m (3-10 ft.), and at low tide it virtually disappears. The Dutch treasure these small islands as romantic getaways. On a line curving north and east, they are: Texel, Vlieland, Terschelling, Ameland, and Schiermonnikoog. Texel belongs to Noord-Holland and is covered separately. The remaining four islands belong to Friesland.These ports of wild natural beauty encompass miles of white sand on wide beaches along the North Sea coasts, marshes, and wetlands that are sanctuaries for thousands of migratory seabirds, seals sunning on sandbanks, rare plants, old villages, and museums connected with the sea and seafarers. Most vacationers visit between the spring and fall; only a hardy few brave the winter gales
image-42287-kabloes wadden sea.jpg?1447759089023
image-42319-125px-Coat_of_arms_of_Ameland.svg.png?1447762297883
                       Escutcheon Ameland
image-42320-Schiermonnikoog_wapen.svg.png?1447762540106
                Escutcheon Schiermonnikoog.
The Eierland Lighthouse is a lighthouse on the northern most tip of the Dutch island of Texel. It is named for a former island. The lighthouse was designed by Quirinus Harder , and construction began on 25 July 1863. The lighthouse was built on top of a 20-metre high sand dune, and was lit on 1 November 1864. At that time, the distance from the lighthouse to the sea was 3 kilometres.
Initially the lighthouse had a kerosene lamp. The current (electrical) lamp is a 2000 watt Philips fluorescent lamp, producing 2.85 million candela, and the light is focused with a number of Fresnel lenses. It has two automatically engaged spare lamps.
The lighthouse was originally red, but in the course of time that colour faded to pink. In 1977 the tower was covered with a red plastic coating. Since 1982 the lighthouse is a Rijksmonument.
During the Georgian Uprising of Texel of April 1945 the lighthouse suffered heavy damage. It was repaired by constructing a new wall around it and a new upper-level construction. In this process the lighthouse lost two of its original nine storeys.
During the 1990's the lighthouse, including the very top and the lamp, was open for visitors. Closed for a while, it was reopened in 2009 and is accessible up to the sixth floorLocation Eierland, Texel, Netherlands 
Coordinates 53°10′55″N 4°51′19″E / 53.18194°N 4.85528°E / 53.18194; 4.85528 
Year first constructed 1863 
Year first lit 1864 
Construction brick 
Height 34,7 m 
Focal height 53,2 m 
Intensity 2,850,000 cd 
Range 29 nautical miles (54 km; 33 mi) 
Characteristic FL(2) W 10s

image-42326-Texel_lighthouse.jpg?1447763797422
                                  The Eierland Lighthouse Texel
image-42327-Texel_lighthouse_head.jpg?1447763869217
image-42328-Texel_panorama.jpg?1447764001954
                            Spotted on Wednesday, August 1, 2007
image-42559-Lighthouse_Vlieland.jpg?1447789617409
               Lighthouse Vuurduin of Vlieland
Vuurduin is a lighthouse on the Dutch island Vlieland. The tower is the top part of the former front light of the leading lights in IJmuiden, designed by Quirinus Harder.The lighthouse is sometimes called "Fire Dune or" Red dwarf 
The lighthouse was placed on Vlieland in 1909, on top of one of the Voorboetsduin, one of the highest sand dunes (at 45 meters) in the Netherlands. A lookout tower was built next to the lighthouse in 1929. In 1986, the cupola was renovated. While a lighthouse keeper still attends, the lighthouse is fully automated.
Location Vlieland, Netherlands 
Coordinates 53°17′45″N 5°03′30″E 
Year first constructed 1876/1909 
Year first lit 1881 
Construction Cast iron 
Height 16.8 m 
Intensity 1,000,000 cd 
Range 20 nautical miles (37 km; 23 mi) 
Characteristic ISO phase light, 4 sec 

image-42560-Lighthouse_Vlieland_head.jpg?1447789648353
            Spotted on Thursday, August 2, 2007
image-42613-Schiermonnikoog_s_South_house.jpg?1447840489220
  Lighthouse Schiermonnikoog South Tower
Lighthouse Schiermonnikoog South Tower
This tower was built simultaneously with the current lighthouse. Because they used did not have light characters sometimes put two towers or fire, so the sailor knew where he was. Moreover, two fires were towers or form a line, so that ships could be led through dangerous shoals.
 In 1910 was outside the tower, the present lighthouse, a rotating light. From then one could also identify the coast with a light and was the light of this tower obsolete. The tower remained, however, be received and the function of water tower.
This feature has been the tower until 1992. Today, The tower functions as an antenna tower.

image-42614-Schiermonnikoog_s_South_house__Tower_head.jpg?1447840575150
     Spotted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Designer H.G. Jansen et al
Builder L.J. Breast-Verdoorn
Material Brick
Color White Tower
Ground Round Shape
Position 53 ° 28.887 'N 6 ° 09,514' E
Country Netherlands
Province of Friesland
Wadden Sea region
image-42615-Schiermonnikoog_s_north_house_lighthouse.jpg?1447841105169
      Lighthouse Schiermonnikoog
Lighthouse SchiermonnikoogThe lighthouse on the Dutch island Schiermonnikoog has no official name, but with North Tower indicated. The other tower is the former second lighthouse Schiermonnikoog, the South Tower.
Year 1853-1854
 Tower Height 37 meters
 Light Height 44 meters
 Material brick and stone
 Memorial yes, since 1980
 Radar yes, since 1979
 Staffed 24 hours a day
 Details
  from the tower to provide weather forecasts for the  coastal waters. In 1998 the tower was painted red.
 Position53 ° 29 '11.86 "N, 6 ° 8' 46.98" E
image-42616-Schiermonnikoog_s_north_house_lighthouse_head.jpg?1447841246835
      Spotted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008
image-42618-Brandaris Terschelling.jpg?1447845321328
The Brandaris is a lighthouse on    Terschelling,      
The light is completely automatic.
Light Frequency: 0.3 sec. light, 4.7 sec. dark.
Position 53 ° 21 'N 5 ° 12' east
Year 1593-1594
Tower Height 54 meters
Light Height 55.5 meters
Scope of light 35 kilometers
Material yellow stone
Memorial yes, since 1965
Radar yes, since 1979
Staffed 24 hours a day
The Brandaris is a lighthouse on Terschelling, and the oldest lighthouse in the Netherlands. The name is a derivation of St. Brandarius, a saint to which the present village of Terschelling in the Middle Ages was named. Some people think the name is derived from St. Brendan, a seafaring saint, but that was never proven.
The first Brandaris Tower was built in 1323, for ships on their way to Amsterdam via the Zuidersea, the narrow gap between Vlieland and Terschelling highlight. A good marking was necessary because the Wadden islands are very similar as seen from the North Sea. This is the oldest surviving, as a lighthouse tower. In 1907 this was the first lighthouse in the Netherlands who got electric light. The Brandaris bird has special lighting to prevent birds from flying tower.
 The sea ate however Terschelling and the first Brandaris plunged into the sea about 1570. It lasted until 1592 before one of the construction of a second tower began, but collapsed before he was done, because there are bad building materials were used. The current tower dates from 1594. In 1837, the Brandaris the first Dutch lighthouse with a rotating Fresnel lens. Electrification followed in 1907. In 1994 the 400-year anniversary of the celebrated tower.
image-42619-Brandaris Terschelling  head.jpg?1447845425829
             Spotted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

image-42620-Brandaris plaquette.jpg?1447845895099
This is written on the plaque
Brandaris lighthouse plaque, West Terschelling, the Netherlands, text "is in the year 1834, this brandaris restored and furnished, to conduct a rotating draijend coast lamplight it for what it is ignited first became the 23 September 1835".
image-42627-Ameland_Lighthouse.jpg?1447846793921
       The Ameland Lighthouse Bornrif
The Ameland Lighthouse, commonly known as Bornrif, is a lighthouse on the Dutch island Ameland, one of the Frisian Islands, on the edge of the North Sea. It was built in 1880 by order of William III of the Netherlands. It was designed by Dutch lighthouse architect Quirinus Harder and built by the foundry Nering Bögel in Deventer. The individual segments were shipped to Ameland and welded together on-site.
After World War II a new, weaker lamp was installed, which was replaced by a stronger lamp in 1952. The lighthouse is a Rijksmonument since 1982. Since the end of 2004 it is owned by Ameland, and it was opened for tourists in 2005. The tower has a space for exhibitions.
The lighthouse is 55 metres tall and has 14 floors, with a staircase with 236 steps. The optical installation came from the former Westhoofd Lighthouse in Ouddorp.
image-42628-Ameland_Lighthouse_head.jpg?1447846975194
         Spotted on Monday, April 28, 2008