The Cordouan Lighthouse

The oldest and perhaps greatest of French lighthouses and one of the most famous lighthouses in the world, in the west of France it is called le roi des phares, le phare des rois (the king of lighthouses and the lighthouse of kings). It marks the entrance to the Gironde, standing on a sandbar in the mouth of the estuary. According to legend, Charlemagne commanded that a light be shone here in the early ninth century. It’s more certain that the English Prince Edward (the Black Prince), ruling southwestern France as Duc d’Aquitaine, built a 16 m (52 ft) stone tower in 1360 and engaged monks to keep a fire burning.The lower portion of the present lighthouse remains from the great work of Louis de Foix, who spent 27 years building the lighthouse from 1584 to 1611. The original lighthouse was an elaborate structure that included a chapel and a royal apartment (although no king ever visited).  In 1645 the wood-fired lantern was blown off by a storm and replaced by a new lantern designed to burn whale oil. This was replaced in 1727 by a third lantern designed for charcoal. Parabolic reflectors of the Argand design were installed in 1782, but shortly thereafter the original superstructure was entirely removed and replaced with the soaring conical tower that survives to the present. In 1823 Augustin-Jean Fresnel brought the first of his lenses to the tower, and here he perfected the lens designs that were soon in use around the world. The present lens was installed in 1854, during a thorough restoration of the tower ordered by Napoleon III. The lighthouse was not electrified until 1948. Instead of abandoning the lighthouse, steps were taken to restore it. In 1987, a modern halogen lamp was installed; since the lamp’s light could be flashed, the rotating mechanism was then retired. In 2005 a new restoration was completed Posted by threeyearsatsea  on April 12, 2011

Position 45°35′10.84″N  1°10′24.48″W Built 1584-1611, although the original structure was built in 1360, and the conical tower wasn’t completed until 1788

Focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 12 s.
1st order Fresnel lens
With a 223 feet (68 m)  stone tower with lantern and three galleries, it is the tenth tallest “traditional lighthouse” in the world.

image-45297-kabloes cordouan.jpg?1448879067177
image-45296-kabloes lighthouse_De_Cordouan.JPG?1448878812837
                               Spotted 10/09/2013
image-45300-ville_vendon_sur_mer_kabloes.JPG?1448880442539
             Cordouan lighthouse model,  Verdon-sur-Mer (red)
Le Verdon-sur-Mer,
Name Port Bloc Estacade Nord,
Standort West Coast La Gironde River Anse de Chambrette
Coordinates45°34'08.4"N 1°03'44.4"W
Spotted 02/09/2013
image-45311-kabloes vendon_sur_mer_red_light.JPG?1448881468299
image-45301-kabloes au_ville_vendon_sur_mer.JPG?1448880502245
                                      Spotted 02/09/2013 (green)
Le Verdon-sur-Mer,
Name Port Bloc Estacade Sud,                    
Standort West Coast La Gironde River Anse de Chambrette 
Coordinates45°34'06.4"N 1°03'41.5"W
Spotted 02/09/2013
image-45310-kabloes vendon_sur_mer_green_light.JPG?1448881260816
image-45316-kabloes De_Grave_Lighthouse.JPG?1448882073532
                   Spotted 02/09/2013
The Grave lighthouse, whose construction dates from 1859, is situated at the Pointe de Grave in the southern part of the mouth of the Gironde estuary. From the top of its 28 metres and 108 steps, this square tower offers visitors an impressive view over the estuary and Cordouan lighthouse.
The museum enables the lighthouse to be shown to those who cannot get out there, and also provides a general introduction to the operation of lighthouses and beacons in general.
Le musée The museum comprises five rooms and is particularly noteworthy for : models of the six Gironde lighthouses, documents on Cordouan lighthouse itself, and documents on maritime signalling equipment. Images of Cordouan can be seen on a screen. From the gallery at the top of the lighthouse there is a magnificent panoramic view over the mouth of the Gironde estuary. The main sites of the locality are marked on its viewing table   The lighthouse is automated and white light dimming emits a flash every   5 seconds.
 Coordinates 45º 34' 07" N 01º 03' 58" W .
image-45317-kabloes De_Grave_Lighthouse_optiek.JPG?1448882125895
image-45318-info_kabloes De_Grave_Lighthouse.JPG?1448882188539
image-45319-kabloes Saint_nicolas_vendon_sur_mer_.JPG?1448882665807
                       Spotted 02/09/2013

Lighthouse Saint- Nicolas
It was built for the use of the southern pass , called Grave pass through small vessels who wanted to avoid the northwest bypass Cordovan borrowing this password become more favorable for navigation. It was built by the contractor verdonnais Jean Gallaud with funds from the Ministry of Public pharesTravaux who financed from 1871 construction headlights Richard and Claire ( St. Nicolas ) . At a height of 12.35 m, rectangular and slightly pyramidal shape , the building is covered with a masonry arch completed in curved pediments . This lighthouse oriented emits a single fixed light beam in a determined and invariable area , south -west off the Soulac and Amelie. Fire , accessible by 32 wooden steps , working with solar collectors. In 1933 , the lighthouse was located 125 m from the beach, in 1940, he was only 80 m, and 55m in 1949. In 1963 , the sea prevailed south of the lighthouse part of the dam built in 1907. Since coastal currents deposit sand from the beach Soulac . In October 1996, the beach Saint- Nicolas was 600 m from the building , making this place one of the few territories earned Atlantic Ocean .
Coordinates 45° 33′ 43″ N | 1° 5′ 1″ W

image-45320-Saint_nicolas_vendon_sur_mer_kabloes.JPG?1448882700964
image-45322-kabloes Lighthouse_Hourtin_North.JPG?1448883152275
Hourtin (Tour Nord)
1863. Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft); white flash every 5 s. 27 m (89 ft) square brick tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted red brick with stone trim; lantern painted black. 2-story brick keeper's house and other light station buildings.  Twin towers were built at this station, a configuration unusual for France, but the south tower was deactivated in 1894. The purpose of the light was to mark the center of an otherwise dark section of unbroken coast between the mouth of the Gironde and the Bassin d'Arcachon. The station is surrounded by the Forêt d'Hourtin, a national maritime forest reserve. Located on a dune behind the ocean beach about 6 km (4 mi) south of Hourtin-Plage. Site closed , tower closed. ARLHS FRA-105; Admiralty D1372; NGA 1556.
45° 09' 00" N, 001° 10' 00" W
Spotted 08/09/2013
image-45324-Lighthouse_Hourtin_North-Kabloes1.JPG?1448883546302
image-45326-Lighthouse_Hourtin_South-Kabloes.JPG?1448883823116
Hourtin (Tour Sud)
1863. Inactive since 1894. 23 m (75 ft) square brick tower with gallery, topped by two parabolic antennas and other communications gear. Tower is unpainted red brick with stone trim. . A twin of the north tower, this lighthouse stood abandoned from 1894 until 1964, when the defense ministry reactivated the tower as a satellite tracking station. Located 200 m (220 yd) south of the north tower. Site and tower closed, .Site manager: Ministère de la Défense Nationale. ARLHS FRA-811.
Spotted 08/09/2013
image-45323-Lighthouse_Hourtin_South.JPG?1448883379553
image-45328-kabloesLighthouse_Cap_Ferret.JPG?1448884545675
 Cap Ferret lighthouse,The first  brought into service in 1840, was destroyed during the Second World War. The current lighthouse was inaugurated on August 7th 1949. The Fresnel rock crystal lens system automated in 1995 with a 31 miles range sends out a red signal every five seconds, indicating the entrance to the Bay and its channels. It was . At the bottom, the exhibition area was completely renovated before being reopened in 2013. Beyond the cinema theatre, the corridor leading to the stairs preserves the historical and geographical context of the Cap Ferret lighthouse. A new room upstairs exhibits old maps and hydrographic tools. On the staircase walls of the round room can be seen two beautiful mosaic maps of the Bay of Arcachon and the peninsula, wind roses and the five-pointed star –lighthouses and beacons emblem symbolising the shepherd’s star and a guiding light for boats. The lighthouse is accessed via the “alley of colours”. The park, with its remarkable plant species, is open to visitors.here is only one lighthouse in the Bay of Arcachon. The Cap Ferret's one. Why should you climb its 258 steps? Simply, because at its top, on the platform at 53 m heigth, the view is breathtaking 
44° 38′ 46.28″ N1° 14′ 56.11″ W

image-45329-kabloes Lighthouse_Cap_Ferret_lantern.JPG?1448959606091
                             Spotted 08/09/2013
image-45400-kabloes Lighthouse_Richard.JPG?1448961985288
image-45401-kabloes palmyre_model_lighthouse.JPG?1448962064894
Model of metal lighthouse
A scale of 1/10 °, achievement of vocational high school students Pauillac . 

1845. Inactive since 1870. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's house.  This lighthouse marked a prominent point on the Gironde, a point marked for many years by a giant poplar tree, known as L'Arbre de Richard. After the tree was overthrown by a storm in 1830, a buoy was placed in the river. When that proved inadequate, the lighthouse was built. In 1870, the light was moved to a 30 m (98 ft) cast iron tripod tower which formed the rear light of a range, the front light being on the lightship Talais.  The keeper's house remained in service until the station was deactivated in 1953; the tripod tower was demolished in 1956. Sold into private ownership, the station stood abandoned until a group of teenagers launched the first restoration effort in 1982. In 1988 the station was purchased by the township of Jau-Dignac et Loirac. A preservation group, L'Association Communale du Phare de Richard, was organized in 1993 and the keeper's house was renovated as a fishery and lighthouse museum. A model of the tripod lighthouse stands in front of the museum. Located on the point, about 2 km (1.2 mi) north of Port de Richard on the south side of the Gironde estuary. Site open, museum and tower open daily except Tuesdays March through October; group tours are available year-round. Owner: Commune du Jau-Dignac et Loirac. Site manager: L'Association Communale du Phare de Richard. ARLHS FRA-448.
Coordinates: 45° 26′ 22″ N 0° 55′ 55″ O
Electricity

image-45402-kabloesLighthouse_Richard_optiek.JPG?1448962131752
                        Spotted 08/09/2013
image-45403-kabloes optic_head_with_gas.JPG?1448962288258
                       original light a gas
image-45404-kabloes whistle_sonobuoy.JPG?1448962340668
                      original sono whistle

image-45406-kabloes Lighthouse_Socoa.JPG?1448966036599
Lighthouse Socoa overlooks the bay of Saint-Jean-de-Luz, not to be confused with the marine semaphore, above, a few meters. The lighthouse is a square tower of 12 meters, situated 36 meters above sea level
Built in 1844, it was automated in 1970. His fire is sparkling white and red. It has a range of 12 miles.The Lighthouse of Socoa is a monument in the municipality of Ciboure(Pyrénées-AtlantiquesAquitaine). It is an attraction for holidaymakers staying in the region
coordinates 43º 23' 80" N. 1º 41' 10" W
image-45407-kabloes Lighthouse_Socoa_lantern.JPG?1448966122414
                     Spotted 03/09/2013

image-45412-kabloes light_de_Criquas.JPG?1448969276972

Digue des Criquas,
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6 m (20 ft) square equipment building with the light on a post on the roof. Lighthouse painted white with a green band at the top. Located at the end of the west outer breakwater of St.-Jean-de-Luz. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D1422; NGA 1696.
​coordinates:43°23'54" N.1°40'36" W.
Spotted 03/09/2013
image-45411-light_de_Criquas_kabloes.JPG?1448969223270
image-45408-kabloes Lighthouse_Saint-jean_luz_.JPG?1448966647835
image-45409-kabloesSaint-Jean-de-Luz lighthouse(Tour de Ciboure),.JPG?1448967270357
           Saint-Jean-de-Luz Lighthouse, 
1938 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); quick-flashing green light. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower; the light is displayed from a window on the top floor. Tower painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. A view from inside the entrance is at right,  The range guides ships across the Baie de Saint-Jean-de-Luz to the inner harbor entrance. Located on the east side of the entrance, in Saint-Jean-de-Luz. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-482; Admiralty D1418; NGA 1688.                            
​          Coordinates: 43° 23' 15.4" N 1° 40' 8" W
           Spotted 03/09/2013

Saint-Jean-de-Luz lighthouse(Tour de Ciboure),
1872. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); quick-flashing green light. 27 m (89 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower; the light is displayed from a window on the top floor. Tower painted white with a green vertical stripe on the range line.  the tower was expanded in 1938 to assume its present form. Located at the intersection of the Quai Maurice Ravel and the Rue Ramiro Arrue in Ciboure. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-483; Admiralty D1420; NGA 1692.
​Coordinates: 43° 23' 3.9" N 1° 39' 59.1" W
Spotted 03/09/2013
image-45413-kabloes Lighthouse_Biarritz.JPG?1448969681008
Biarritz Lighthouse,
**** Pointe Saint-Martin (Biarritz)
1834. Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft);and 248steps, two white flashes every 10 s. 47 m (154 ft)round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 2-story octagonal keeper's house; clamshell Fresnel lens (1904). Tower and keeper's house painted white, lantern and gallery black. This is one of the lighthouses designed by Augustin Fresnel himself; it commands a magnificent view of the Atlantic on one side and the Pyrénées mountains on the other. The keeper's house is staffed by a resident keeper. Located at the end of the Avenue de l'Impératrice, on the promontory of Cap Hainsart; this is on the north side of the resort city of Biarritz, at the northern end of the popular Plage Miramar beach. Site open, parking provided; tower open daily except Mondays in July and August and on weekends and school holidays in the spring and fall. ARLHS FRA-072; Admiralty D1410; NGA 1660. ,
​Coordinates: 43° 29' 37.7" N 1° 33' 13.9" W
image-45414-kabloes Lighthouse_Biarritz_lantern.JPG?1448969746166
                            Spotted 06/09/2013

image-45416-kabloes Capbreton.JPG?1448971776558
image-45417-kabloes_Capbreton.JPG?1448971830557
                                                                                             Capbreton,Spotted 06/09/2013
image-45418-kabloes Lighthouse_Capbreton.jpg?1448972235106
Capbreton Estacade Sud,
1948 (station established 1873). Inactive. 8 m (26 ft) round solid stone tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted stone; lantern painted green, gallery white. The active light (focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two green flashes every 6 s) has been moved to a post about 40 m (130 ft) to the west Site open, tower closed. ARLHS-808; Admiralty D1386; NGA 158
43° 39' 19.5" N 1° 26' 50.6" W
image-45419-kabloes Lighthouse_Capbreton_lantern.jpg?1448972272373
                          Spotted 06/09/2013

image-45421-kabloes the_lantern_Capbreton_light.jpg?1448972927335
D1386,
Standort West Coast
Name Capbreton
Estacade Sud (South Pier)
43°39'19.8"N 1°26'52.3"W 
 Spotted 06/09/2013
image-45420-kabloes the_lantern_Capbreton.jpg?1448972712694
image-45429-kabloes Capbreton_lighthouse_on_La_Digue_North.JPG?1448973183349
Capbreton Jetée Nord,
1975. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two red flashes every 6 s. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with a small lantern. Tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern painted red. the harbor at Capbreton is entered through a narrow cut called the Passe du Boucart; this lighthouse marks the north side of the channel. Located at the end of the breakwater mole of Capbreton. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS-809; Admiralty D1384; NGA 1584.
​43°39'21.4"N 1°26'54.1"W
 

image-45430-kabloes Capbreton_lighthouse_on_La_Digue_North_lantern.jpg?1448973245737
                      Spotted 06/09/2013
image-45439-kabloes Lighthouse_Contis.JPG?1448973721420
Contis lighthouse,1863. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); four white flashes, separated by 4.1 s, every 25 s. 42 m (138 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted in a black and white spiral pattern; lantern painted black, gallery white. 1-story keeper's house and other light station buildings.The spiral daymark, unusual for French lighthouses, was suggested in 1937 by the painter Bellocq; The lighthouse marks the center of an otherwise dark section of the coast between the Bassin d'Arcachon and Biarritz. The keeper's house is occupied by a resident keeper, who has developed a small museum and offers guided tours to visitors. Located at Contis-Plage, at or near the end of the D41 highway. Site open, limited parking available, tower open by arrangement with the keeper. The lighthouse stands 38 metres high and has 192 steps.ARLHS FRA-088; Admiralty D1382; NGA 1580
44° 06' 00" N, 001° 19' 00" W

image-45446-kabloes_Lighthouse_Contis 1.JPG?1448974015420
image-45447-kabloes Lighthouse_Contis_optic.JPG?1448974133496
                                                                                                     Spotted 06/09/2013

image-39605-kabloes_banner.JPG?1448974399123